Garage sale is another one of my favorites. I have also held garage sales - twice - first time we made a little over $100 and the next time a little below - not bad for otherwise throw away stuff right? Thought so too.
Here's a listing of my top 12 $1 picks from both garage sales & dollar stores...
- Gilded Bibles (KJV) from Dollar Tree
- A mini desk fan - bought 10 years ago - which is still working good
- A tooled leather handbag which was originally bought by the owner for $169 - with the original tag still in place - never used
- A beautiful framed art which hangs in our basement wall nice and square
- Beautiful glass bowls - 36 in all - for only $1! I did distribute it among many of my friends - gave them all six each and I still have 12 for myself. Use it for dessert in all our get together.
- DVDs - which I later sold in amazon for prices ranging from $3.99 to $13.99!
- A finger ring with red stones - I am positive it is gold with rubies - but can't be too sure unless I take it to a jeweller...
- 5 x 7 picture frames from dollar store. For Rachel's birthday at home this Fall, I clicked the pictures of the guests as they arrived - alone or with their parent(s) as they were dropped off. Before the party was over, we printed the best shots of each child in Costco and framed it for the goody bag special. Trust me it was a hit among both children & parents alike!
- My kitchen jars from dollar store - I guess it was 2 for a $1 - bought 12 years ago in our first apartment. Since they aren't breaking I am still using them.
- Mylar balloon - which makes every occasion special. When Mom arrived from India kids brought "Welcome Home" balloons to the airport to receive her. When my cousin had a new born we visited with "It's a Boy!" balloon at the hospital. We always make sure to have plenty of "Happy Birthday!" balloons handy in parties so that each child guest can take one home; if there is no party we still have at least one balloon which is later released into the air with many "good bye"s.
- Birthday number candles - Hard to believe the same thing costs $3 or more in department stores.
- Not to forget the McChicken burger and fries